Sunday, June 10, 2012

Home for just over two weeks...

I've had several people ask how we are doing so I thought I'd update here a bit.

We're doing really well for the most part! Lia is really attaching beautifully. She has reversed her China behavior a bit so that now I am the preferred parent for much of the time over Erik but I suspect we might ebb back and forth with that for a bit. She can be very clingy of me during the course of the day- and wants to be held a lot (sometimes at very inopportune times!) but this is good. She gives lots of hugs and kisses calls for "Mama" when she hasn't seen me for very long and when we go out places she is usually glued to me for at least the first 15-20 minutes of being somewhere. She rejects most contact with people outside of our family unit- which is what we'd prefer at this point, rather than any "Mama or Baba shopping" that you might see from a child who has had multiple caregivers in the past. She likes to rock with me and we've set up a routine with getting milk in her sippy cup a few times a day and I hold her and cuddle with her while she gets it and she really likes that.

Bedtimes have also been going pretty well- we have set up a "night- night" routine of books, milk, brushing teeth and singing that she knows now and really seems to love. I do the routine and then she lies in her bed and I lie on a mattress next to her bed and she then goes to sleep. However actually getting her to fall asleep takes a long time most nights...I think the big part of that is that she is 3 and a half, where she is still mostly needing that mid-day hour nap but getting close to not needing it as much. When she doesn't take a nap, the late afternoon is brutal with meltdowns and tears, etc, but she does fall asleep much faster. The falling asleep time however has been pretty tear free: she rustles around in her bed, sings songs, wants me to sing, puts a blanket on, takes it off (she wont sleep with any blanket or PJ pants on), gives lots of kisses, says "ShaSha go nigh-nigh, No-ya go nigh-nigh, Mama go nigh-nigh, Baba go nigh-nigh" over and over again, kisses her baby doll, sings some more, gives more kisses to Mama, and finally goes to sleep after 30-40 minutes of this. I can get a little weary of it when it takes so long, but at the same time it is a sweet time to connect with her and I think she treasures the time too.

She usually wakes up and cries out in the middle of the night and I get her and bring her into our bed- Nora usually joins us at some point- and I often wake up completely smooshed between two girls! But this seems to work well- we get some of the benefits of the bonding from co-sleeping and we all wake up and talk and play in the morning together, while they still go to bed in their own beds every night. Lia naps in our bed during the day which she loves to do (and that way I can lie down with her and take a nap too if needed :)

She loves, loves, loves to sing and she sings frequently throughout the day. She is singing less in Chinese than she did in China- but we still hear some Chinese and mostly mix of Chinese and English. She loves to sing Happy Birthday in Chinese (zhù nǐ shēng rì kuài lè) but now is starting to mix the two languages. And who would have guessed that "Oh My Darling Clementine" has been translated into Chinese.

(ah- after typing that I googled "oh my darling Clementine" in Chinese"- and the first result was this blog talking about that very thing- I guess it's the Chinese Happy New Year song.)

Here is a video I took of her singing to me before bed- (it's totally dark since we were in her dark room- I just recorded it to get the sound)-  my sister-in-lawYin kindly translated for me and said she's singing a popular Chinese kid's song-

"she was repeating 2nd sentence, meaning "A kid who has a mom was treated like a treasure".
The 1st sentence means " Mom is the only best person in the world"  
The 3nd sentence means "Snuggling with mommy"
The 4th sentence means "Full of happiness"

Learning what she was saying made my heart melt! (although it feels a bit sad that she somehow learned that song while living in an orphanage...)



It's quite an unexpected blessing to have a musically inclined child- God can do anything of course, but it would have been quite a divine miracle for me to have had a biological child born with much innate musical ability...

So that is where we are at right now. Now please know that I put all of the good stuff on here and I am not sharing as many of the challenges  :)  But if anyone wanted to pray for Nora right now that would be most welcome, she is really struggling with all the big changes in her life right now and being a good Mama to her has actually been harder for me the past couple weeks than it has being there for ShaSha. It's so hard to have a little sister who gets into all your things and takes so much of Mama and Daddy's attention...

Playing at the local Children's museum

Running with Nora

They chose to wear their matching dresses to the park today. ShaSha got new shoes that are like Nora's and she refuses to take them off! Nora is doing that peace sign thing in photos all the time now ever since seeing kids in China do it.




1 comment:

  1. Lia is TOO CUTE with those ponytails! And I love the matching dresses!

    ReplyDelete